The PEs together with the private sector is key in the vital repositioning of the Seychelles economy. Public enterprises make significant contribution to the economy in terms of Gross Domestic Product (GDP). They also assist government in maintaining a fairly steady flow of income through investments and returns. Furthermore, they contribute towards social goals of the government and provide for certain key infrastructure and services for the country. By the year 2011 itself, the PEs carried altogether an estimated SR17.5 billion worth of asset. In terms of revenue, it amounted to SR72.7 million. As such, it is of paramount importance that the Public Enterprises remain commercially and financially sustainable and work alongside the government’s national objectives and plans.
In line with the above, the mission of PEMC is:
“To monitor and evaluate the overall performance of Public Enterprises and to promote ethics of good governance in all their business transactions”.
The Commission operates alongside the following values:
- Providing the best professional and ethical advice to the Ministers, Boards and stakeholders.
- Being accountable and acting with integrity in all dealings with public enterprises and other stakeholders
- Promoting Good Governance and upholding the law
- Working together as a team through participation and involvement of staff and stakeholders in decision-making.
- Keeping abreast with the latest developments in the different sectors within which the PE’s operate.